|You are reading the page dedicated to the album. You may have been wanting to read about the song of the same name.|
Am I a Girl? is the second studio album by Poppy. The album was released on October 31st, 2018.
Background and Conception
Poppy began recording the album before going on the Poppy.Computer Tour. In an interview, she stated that its genre is a "new type of pop music". On January 12th, 2018, Poppy revealed in an interview that the album was complete. On May 15th, 2018, Poppy confirmed the title by tweeting "Ready 4 album title?", followed by an image of her with the caption "Am I a girl?". Later, it was confirmed by Titanic Sinclair that the album had been completed on July 21st, 2018.
Poppy stated that the album focuses on questioning gender, identity, robots, and expensive fashion. Unlike her previous album Poppy.Computer, the album steps away from the character of Poppy on most songs.
Poppy first announced a tour to promote the album on July 10th, 2018. Ticket presale began on July 11th, 2018, with general sale beginning on July 13th, 2018. The tour began with a warm-up show in Vancouver, British Columbia at the Westward Music Festival on September 14th, 2018. The first leg took place in Eurasia between September 22nd, 2018 and October 31st, 2018, while the second leg took place in North America between January 31st, 2019 and February 27th, 2019.
|1.||"In a Minute"||Poppy||Poppy, Simon Wilcox, Sir Nolan, Kate Nash||Ryosuke Sakai||2:54|
|2.||"Fashion After All"||Poppy||Poppy, Titanic Sinclair, Tommy English||Wax Motif||3:24|
|3.||"Iconic"||Poppy||Poppy, Sinclair, Wilcox||Fernando Garibay, DNNYD, MIRO||2:52|
|4.||"Chic Chick"||Poppy||Poppy, English, Sinclair, Wilcox||U Tern||2:54|
|6.||"Time Is Up"||Poppy
|Poppy, Sinclair, English, U Tern, Diplo, Tommy Rocks, Wilcox, Alvaro||Diplo, U Tern, Alvaro, Tommy Rocks||3:31|
|Poppy, Sinclair, Garibay, Wilcox||Garibay, DNNYD, MIRO||3:21|
|8.||"Hard Feelings"||Poppy||Poppy, Sinclair, Chris Greatti, Wilcox, Garibay||Garibay, DNNYD, MIRO||3:39|
|9.||"Girls in Bikinis"||Poppy||Poppy, Sinclair, Wilcox||U Tern||2:25|
|10.||"The Rapture Ball"||Poppy||Poppy, Sinclair, Wilcox, English||Aryay||3:00|
|12.||"Am I a Girl?"||Poppy||Poppy, Sinclair, Wilcox||Sinclair, Zakk Cervini||3:38|
|13.||"Play Destroy"||Poppy||Poppy, Sinclair, Greatti, Grimes||Greatti, Grimes||3:05|
|14.||"X"||Poppy||Poppy, Sinclair, Greatti, Cervini||Cervini, Greatti||2:54|
"In a Minute" was released to digital retailers through I'm Poppy Records and Mad Decent on July 27th, 2018, and served as the first single to the album. Poppy co-wrote the song with Simon Wilcox, Sir Nolan and Kate Nash, and it was produced by Ryosuke Sakai.
"Time Is Up" was released to digital retailers through I'm Poppy Records and Mad Decent along with its music video on August 22nd, 2018, and served as the second single to the album. Poppy co-wrote the song with Tommy English, Titanic Sinclair, U Tern, Diplo, Tommy Rocks, Simon Wilcox and Alvaro, and it was produced by Diplo, U Tern, Alvaro and Tommy Rocks.
"Fashion After All" was released to digital retailers through I'm Poppy Records and Mad Decent on October 12th, 2018, and served as the third single to the album. Poppy co-wrote the song with Tommy English and Titanic Sinclair, and it was produced by Wax Motif.
"Hard Feelings" was released to digital retailers through I'm Poppy Records and Mad Decent on October 19th, 2018, and served as the fourth single to the album. Poppy co-wrote the song with Titanic Sinclair, Chris Greatti, Simon Wilcox and Fernando Garibay, and it was produced by Garibay, DNNYD and MIRO.
"X" was released to digital retailers through I'm Poppy Records and Mad Decent on October 25th, 2018, and served as the fifth single to the album. Poppy co-wrote the song with Titanic Sinclair, Chris Greatti and Zakk Cervini, and it was produced by Greatti and Cervini.
- Simon Wilcox went to Japan with Poppy and Titanic Sinclair to help with the album.
- On July 6th, 2018, Poppy released a cover of Gary Numan's "Metal" as a single. It was later confirmed by Poppy that it would be a non-album single and would not appear on Am I a Girl?.
- Poppy and Grimes recorded "a couple of songs" for the album, with Poppy stating that one song would be about destroying things and another would be about power. However, only one of these songs, "Play Destroy", made the album.
- "Scary Mask" and "We Appreciate Power" were intended to be on Am I a Girl?, but were later scrapped.
- The male backing vocals on the album were sung by Titanic Sinclair and Chris Greatti.
- Poppy stated on the Zach Sang Show that she rewrote the album twice.
- She also stated in the interview that half of the album was a "preview" for her next album, I Disagree.
- Poppy and Titanic Sinclair have stated that "X" is their favorite song and music video from the album.
- The placement of "Chic Chick" and "Interlude 1" in the tracklist were later swapped for unknown reasons.
- "Interlude 1" and "Interlude 2" are excluded from the tracklist of the physical version of the album, being replaced by "+" symbols.
- The front, back, and inner sleeve artwork were photographed by Sam McGuire.
- On October 5th, 2019, Poppy unlisted all of the album's YouTube audio uploads, excluding "Am I a Girl?", "Play Destroy" and "X", for unknown reasons.