"Anything Like Me" is a song by Poppy. It served as the fifth single from her third studio album I Disagree and is the fourth track on the album. It was released on January 10th, 2020 alongside a music video. The music video currently has over 1 million views.
On November 26th, 2019, Poppy revealed the title along with the tracklist to I Disagree on Instagram. It was later revealed on January 7th, 2020 that the song would receive a music video on January 10th, 2020, coinciding with the release of the album. A teaser for the music video and song was posted alongside the announcement.
"Anything Like Me" is thought to be about the lawsuit Mars Argo filed against Poppy and their former collaborative partner Titanic Sinclair in April of 2018. In the lawsuit, Argo claimed that Poppy was a copy of her persona. The song responds to claims and rumors made up about Poppy during the wake of the lawsuit. The song's lyrics are likely aimed directly at Argo, Sinclair and the audience who expressed negative opinions on Poppy during this time.
"It's one of my favorites on the album. I can't wait to play [it] on tour. The hook, "You'll never be anything like me/You shouldn't be anything like me," the significance [is] it's about a personal trial and what I went through. I think it's one of the ones if you know, you know. I don't really want to explain too much." - Poppy in an interview with Alternative Press
The song could also be about Poppy in the current day reflecting on her past self during the lawsuit. In this context, she expresses guilt and anger for her past actions. Additionally, with Poppy reflecting on her past, her past self is not "anything like" her current self.
The grayscale music video consists of various bizarre and surreal shots of Poppy. The music video begins with Poppy looking at herself in the mirror and slowly transitions to fast-paced and disturbing shots (likely inspired by Jesse Draxler's surreal collages and poly-dimensional art). During the bridge of the song, the video shifts to a shot focused on Poppy's head as the camera circles around her, with Poppy's movements suddenly becoming jerky and more unnatural. The video ends with Poppy looking around in front of a white backdrop with surreal imagery, replacing the backdrop behind her as the camera pans into her face.
- This is the first music video of the Poppy era to not be directed by Titanic Sinclair, instead being directed by Jesse Draxler and Poppy.
- The music video also sees the directorial debut of Poppy.
- An edited version of the music video is used as the background for the audio videos of "Nothing I Need", "Sit / Stay", "Bite Your Teeth", "Sick of the Sun" and "Don't Go Outside".
- The official instrumental was leaked in March 2020.
- Chris Greatti has stated that "Anything Like Me", "Don't Go Outside", "Sit / Stay" and "Bloodmoney" are his favorite songs from I Disagree.
- On April 21st, 2020, Poppy uploaded a makeup tutorial for her look from the music video.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/poppy/status/1214562510495350784
- ↑ https://www.altpress.com/features/poppy-i-disagree-track-by-track-interview/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYVeE1C2_M
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/B7KJKFbFQ0E/