"Concrete" is a song by Poppy. It served as the lead single from her upcoming third studio album "I Disagree" and is the first track on the album. It was released on August 22nd, 2019 alongside a music video. The music video currently has over 2 million views on YouTube.
Poppy first teased the single on August 12th, 2019, posting a picture on social media with the caption "8.22 💀🌱🌹⚒️". On August 15th, 2019, she posted another picture with the caption ".....gravedigger ⚒️🌹⚰️ 8.22". She revealed the song's title on August 19th, 2019, along with two lines from the song.
"Concrete" sees Poppy wishing to be buried in the ground and paved over with concrete, turning her into a street. The chorus and verse show Poppy expressing cannibalistic desires; she dismisses the flavors of food items such as candy and coffee, calling them "lifeless", while stating that her true craving is "young blood".
Musically, the song continues Poppy's venture into songs she describes as "Poppymetal" that alternate between heavy metal and pop music, following the songs "X" and "Play Destroy" from her album "Am I A Girl?", as well as the song "Scary Mask" from her "Choke" EP.
Poppy promoted the song by posting photos from the scene of the music video before its release.
- This is the third Poppy song to have been performed live before its official release, the others being "Fashion After All", "Chic Chick", "I Disagree", "Bloodmoney" and "Bite Your Teeth". It was first performed at Pukkelpop 2019.
- On August 21st, 2019, an official teaser for the music video was released.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/poppy/status/1160949119436722176
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Mgm8mgnr4/
- ↑ http://time.com/5455221/poppy-am-i-a-girl/