When a snippet of the song was first leaked, Titanic Sinclair claimed that the snippet was fake in a now-deleted reply to a fan on Twitter, though most fans doubted this statement. An uploader could also receive a copyright warning from Island Records if the snippet was uploaded on YouTube.
"Guns & Gold" is a slow song that includes instruments not common in Poppy's music, such as violin and piano. The song appears to be referencing Mars Argo's video titled "Everybody Wants It All", referring to Mars' gun in the video and her famous line, "Everybody wants it all".
- Early 2016 - A low-quality 17-second snippet of the chorus was leaked on YouTube by an unknown user.
- December 2nd, 2016 - The same snippet was leaked in higher quality on SoundCloud by user MichaelFoley.
- August 9th, 2018 - The full song was leaked on SoundCloud by the user That Poppy Archive.
- This song's instrumental samples an unreleased song by Mars Argo, "Creepshow".
- On October 19th, 2018, Poppy made an edit to the Genius song bio of "Guns & Gold", stating "This song was written in 2012".
- Unlike other unreleased songs that she edited, she did not replace the bio with "This is not a Poppy song" or "This is not a song by Poppy".
- The original filename of the song is "Guns and Gold_LEGRuff_031114".
- The leaked version is most likely a demo due to the original .mp3 file having "ruff" in the title, which is likely an abbreviation for "rough demo".