"Money" is a song by Poppy, released under the name That Poppy. It is the second track on her debut extended play "Bubblebath" and was later released as its second single alongside a music video on July 29th, 2016.
This song is about Poppy's addiction to wealth and materialistic items. Poppy opens up about her past in this song, explaining that she was never viewed like the other girls her age. Since then, she has grown an obsession with money. The song's theme reflects on how one can become obsessed with money, and how it can do nearly everything. The chorus references the popular saying "money can't buy happiness", though Poppy questions it by asking "then why is it so fabulous?". Poppy also mentions how people around her during her life made her think that it was wrong to love money.
The music video for "Money" was released on July 29th, 2016, following the release of "Bubblebath" months earlier, and almost an entire year after the "Lowlife" music video. The music video, uploaded onto her official VEVO channel, is visually similar to videos that are released on her regular channel. In the video, Poppy appears against a white backdrop lip-syncing the song in different shots. Most shots show Poppy in a different outfit receiving money handed to her, dancing, or holding money and fanning herself with it. Multiple Japanese-style computer animations also appear throughout the video, creating a bubbly pink aesthetic.
In April 2018, the official music video was made private due to allegations that it contained stolen content, which were the animated eyebats used in various shots. The full video can still be found on MetaTube.
"Money" was well-received by audiences, with over 14 million views and 200,000 likes on the music video prior to it being made private. A version of the song was created as downloadable content for the life simulation video game The Sims 4, which features Poppy singing the song in a fictional language called Simlish. "Money" also was featured in the drama-horror series Scream in the first episode of season 2, "I Know What You Did Last Summer". Along with "Altar", Tyler Peterson of UQMUSIC described "Money" as a "retro-banger".
- Poppy stated in an interview that "Money" and "Lowlife" are her favorite songs from "Bubblebath".
- "Money" was featured as the encore song during the Poppy.Computer Tour. This made it the only "Bubblebath" song performed on the tour.
- The first version of "Money" contains an electric guitar solo before the bridge. The instrumental is also used for a dance break in the Poppy.Computer Tour. The length of this extended instrumental is 3:28. It has since been unlisted on the ThatPoppyVEVO YouTube channel.
- The male background vocals are sung by Titanic Sinclair.
- Poppy performed a stripped-down version of "Money" during a Periscope interview on March 12th, 2016, which can be listened to here.
- The song's lyrics are referenced in Poppy's video "Shirt", in which she holds up a shirt that reads "If money can't buy happiness then why is it so fabulous?". This shirt was once purchasable on Poppy's webstore for $25.00 USD.
- ↑ https://www.deviantart.com/cloverwing/art/Eyebat-Animation-311758245
- ↑ http://soundtrack.mtv.com/post/music-from-scream-season-2-premiere/
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20160422080751/http://uqmusicblog.com/2016/02/that-poppy-bubblebath-ep/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/poppyupdated/status/697182707932098561