"Moshi Moshi" is a song by Poppy from her debut studio album Poppy.Computer. It is the fifth track on the album. The music video was released on November 10th, 2017 and currently has over 9 million views on YouTube.
"Moshi Moshi" is about being self-confident, with lyrics such as "I'm feelin' like a powerful girl" and "together we can take on the world". The chorus focuses on saying hello to a new day and being with a best friend. In the music video, it is shown that Poppy is her own best friend, being a metaphor for loving herself.
The song prominently draws influence from J-pop music, and the chorus contains two Japanese phrases. "Moshi moshi" is a greeting used when answering a phone call, while "hajime konnichiwa" translates to "hello, nice to meet you" in English and literally translates to "first hello", used when meeting someone for the first time.
In an interview with Genius, Poppy stated, "I wrote this song about Japan and about saying hello to your very best friend". Regarding the lyric "are you ready to get lost?", Poppy said that she likes to get lost in Japan, particularly in Akihabara.
- This is the first Poppy song to feature bilingual lyrics, with the chorus incorporating both English and Japanese. This would be followed by "Hard Feelings" and "Aristocrat", which incorporate both English and French, as well as "Voicemail" and "I Disagree", which also incorporate both English and Japanese.
- On November 6th, 2017, an official teaser for the music video was released.
- The official music video was released on November 10th, 2017. However, the initial upload of the video was removed after an hour because it was uploaded in Virtual Reality mode. The official 1080p video was then uploaded later that day.
- Blame Candy guitarist Chris Greatti, who co-wrote the song with Poppy, sang backing vocals as well as performed the guitar solo in the song. He released a video on the Blame Candy YouTube channel demonstrating the solo.
- In the description for this video, it is revealed that the solo was inspired by Frank Zappa.
- The two dancers in the music video are portrayed by Jason Martin and Alec Roberts, Poppy's dancers on the Poppy.Computer Tour.
- The "monster" bodysuit dancer appears in the music video, playing the guitar solo. This bodysuit dancer previously appeared in Poppy's video "Dancing" and was designed by Digital Twigs.
- A snippet of the a cappella was leaked in April 2019.
- On October 5th, 2019, nearly two years after the release of Poppy.Computer, Poppy unlisted the YouTube audio for unknown reasons.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGAdg2lB6nQ
- ↑ https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j4C7SKj1G0VADLQCo_W2VzdWSUgWkuEI/view?usp=drivesdk