Background and Conception
On January 28th, 2020, Poppy announced that she would be publishing a graphic novel titled Poppy's Inferno in July 2020. This announcement also revealed that the graphic novel would be bundled with an album titled Music to Scream To.
The release date underwent several delays. It was originally pushed back to August 4th, 2020 amidst concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic. After being pushed forward to its original release date, it was once again pushed back to September 8th, 2020. However, on September 2nd, 2020, Z2 Comics announced via e-mail that all editions of Poppy's Inferno would release on October 20th, 2020 due to manufacturing delays.
On August 11th, 2020, Poppy stated in a podcast with the Boulet Brothers that Music to Scream To would be a noise album.
On October 11th, 2020, the cover art and tracklist were revealed.
- The album follows a similar naming convention with Poppy's previous ambient albums 3:36 (Music to Sleep To) and I C U (Music to Read To), the latter being the soundtrack to her graphic novel Genesis 1.
- All of the songs on the album are titled "Scream"; however, the amount of "M"s in each title corresponds to that song's track number.
- This is the first Poppy album to be written, composed, and produced solely by Poppy.
- The album cover is an abstract art piece of Pi.
- Music to Scream To and I C U (Music to Read To) are the only Poppy albums to not feature herself on the album cover.