Poppy revealed the title along with the tracklist to Am I a Girl? on Instagram. She later released the song on YouTube one day before the album's official release. It was confirmed that this upload was a "leak" on Grimes' Instagram story, and that it was released without her consent.
"Play Destroy" is about the destruction of capitalism and corporate America. When discussing the song during an interview with NME, interviewer Andrew Trendell asked Poppy what kinds of things she wanted to destroy, to which she responded "corporations". The song makes explicit reference to Walmart, Monsanto and Raytheon, three companies that hold significant power in the supermarket, agriculture and weapon industry, respectively.
Both "Play Destroy" and "X" contrast with Poppy's previously pop-oriented music, alternating between heavy metal and pop. Poppy has described both tracks as a new genre called "Poppymetal". The single "Scary Mask" from her Choke EP continues this musical direction, as well as the single "Concrete" from her album I Disagree.
- This is the fifth Poppy era song containing a feature, the first being the cut "Lowlife" verse with Travis Mills, the second being "My Style" featuring Charlotte, the third being "Time Is Up" featuring Diplo, the fourth being "Aristocrat" featuring Garibay, and the sixth being "Scary Mask" featuring Fever 333.
- The YouTube audio was originally titled "13 Poppy Play Destroy feat Grimes", as this was how it appeared as a YouTube notification.
- This song was performed live during the North American leg of the Am I a Girl? Tour as well as the Threesome Tour. However, Grimes' vocal parts were pre-recorded.
- However, during the I Disagree Tour, Poppy sang Grimes' verses.
- In an interview with NME, Poppy stated that she considered the song separate from Am I a Girl?.
- The song was mixed by Zakk Cervini.
- ↑ https://i.imgur.com/m5PKF2H.png
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqyAHfRatM
- ↑ http://time.com/5455221/poppy-am-i-a-girl/
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BpqLYR-laef/