On November 26th, 2019, Poppy revealed the title along with the tracklist to I Disagree on Instagram.
On March 18th, 2020, Poppy announced on social media that the song would receive a music video, alongside a teaser. This was preceded by a still frame from the music video that was posted to social media on March 15th, 2020.
""Sit Stay" I wrote when I was feeling very boxed in, and it's me communicating that I'm not going to listen to the people that I've been listening to for years tell me that I can't do something that I've always wanted to do. The more melodic part is, in a way, a warning to people that are just beginning in music because this thing that you love could also be the thing that's killing you. "Don't go blind from the stars in your eyes/Welcome to the new starting line." Don't look at the world like, "Once I get this, then I'll be happy." You should just focus [on] being happy right now because it's all important." - Poppy in an interview with Alternative Press
The music video begins with several shots of a nude and bald Poppy in a padded cell and a room with a glossy black tiled floor, moving in unnatural positions and movements. The video alternates between shots of Poppy nude in the cell and sitting on the tiled floor, then switches to Poppy clothed in the padded cell with a blue filter. Later in the music video, the nude Poppy can be seen in what appears to be a wooden crate, then transitions back and forth to the previous locations. Poppy becomes more aggressive as she begins to scream and pound on the floor. The music video ends with Poppy abruptly ending her screaming.
- During the first pre-chorus, a reversed message can be heard. When reversed, this message is revealed to be "they're not gonna let me go".
- Chris Greatti has stated that "Sit / Stay", "Don't Go Outside", "Anything Like Me" and "Bloodmoney" are his favorite songs from I Disagree.
- The music video was directed by Poppy.
- The padded cell featured in the music video is the same padded cell that appears in the "All the Things She Said" music video.
- An edited version of the music video is used as the background for the audio videos of "If It Bleeds", "Bleep Bloop" and "Don't Ask".