Titanic Ulysses Sinclair (born Corey Michael Mixter) is an American singer-songwriter, actor, producer and director best known for working on the Poppy project. He is a former friend and boyfriend of Poppy's. He was also a character in the Poppy universe.
Titanic Sinclair was born on February 12th, 1987. During college, he and his friends would make short comedy videos on the websites iFunny, DigitalFunTown and FirstHourMovies before meeting his now-former musical partner and girlfriend Mars Argo (Brittany Sheets) on Myspace in early 2008. He moved to Chicago, Illinois with her to later go by Titanic Sinclair.
Later on, after Sinclair and Argo broke up in January 2014, Sinclair worked with Moriah Pereira on the Poppy project.
Sinclair has also released his own music. He has released three singles, one EP and two albums.
Outside of the Poppy and Mars Argo projects, Sinclair has also directed several music videos, including "10,000 Emerald Pools" and "Electric Love" by Børns, "Got the Bite" and "My Leather, My Fur, My Nails" by Stepdad, and "Washed Up Together" by Knox Hamilton. He has also worked with the band Blame Candy, who he has directed many videos for.
His parents are Richard "Ric" Mixter and Sheila Moloney Mixter. His siblings are older sister Jamie Mixter-Wren and younger brother Alex Mixter.
As of January 2020, he is currently dating American photographer, Chelsea Wise.
Relationship with Poppy
Moriah Pereira (Poppy) and Sinclair initially met in early 2014 through a mutual friend. Poppy and Sinclair later became good friends and worked together on projects and songs. Behind the scenes, Poppy and Sinclair had been in a romantic relationship. In late 2019, their romantic and collaborative relationship had ended. On December 28th, 2019, Poppy released a statement in regards to their relationship ending, stating that she had met Sinclair at a young age and had defended his actions due to believing he was "misunderstood". Poppy further stated that Sinclair had glamorized suicide and had used it in the past to manipulate her. She reached her breaking point when Sinclair had messaged fans before a suicide attempt while she was on the Threesome Tour. According to Poppy, these were tactics he had used against her for years, stating that she felt "trapped in a mess that [she] needed to dig [her] way out of".
In the Poppy storyline, Sinclair was often portrayed as Poppy's "puppetmaster". Poppy explained in an interview with NME: "The narrative that we created in order to tell the story of the first album was very much Titanic is the bad guy and he's the leader, which I think is funny because it's not true. It is very much 50:50, the effort." Poppy would later state that he "weaved" himself into this storyline and wanted the public to believe he was a "puppeteer", which was "far from the truth".
On May 5th, 2020, Sinclair leaked Poppy's cover of "Gotta Catch 'Em All", an unreleased video of Grimes and Poppy entitled "Grimes Leave" and several photos of Poppy without makeup. The following day, Poppy released a statement on Twitter stating that Sinclair would always call her "ugly" without makeup on and tell her that she should "never be seen without it". According to Poppy, these were attempts to make her feel "small, insecure, and exposed". She also stated that her makeup tutorial videos have helped her feel more comfortable in her own skin.
Poppy Songs Written and/or Produced
- "Am I a Girl?"
- "American Kids"
- "Anything Like Me"
- "Bite Your Teeth"
- "Bleach Blonde Baby"
- "Chewing Gum"
- "Chic Chick"
- "Don't Go Outside"
- "Everybody Wants to Be Poppy"
- "Fashion After All"
- "Fill the Crown"
- "Girls in Bikinis"
- "Hard Feelings"
- "The Holy Mountain"
- "I Disagree"
- "I'm Poppy"
- "Is This Real?"
- "Let's Make a Video"
- "My Style"
- "Nothing I Need"
- "Play Destroy"
- "Pop Music"
- "The Rapture Ball"
- "Scary Mask"
- "Sick of the Sun"
- "Sit / Stay"
- "Software Upgrade"
- "Time Is Up"
- On April 17th, 2018, Brittany Sheets (Mars Argo) filed a lawsuit against both Titanic Sinclair and Poppy. The lawsuit sues Sinclair for years of physical and mental abuse as well as breaking and entering her home on multiple occasions. It also sues both Sinclair and Poppy for copyright infringement; ripping off Mars Argo's persona, music and aesthetic. The case was settled on September 14th, 2018 by Judge Manuel Real.
- Though Sinclair never makes a direct appearance in Poppy's videos, he has indirectly appeared in other forms. His voice can be heard in "Black Magic Trick", his laugh can be heard in "Poppy Eats Cotton Candy" and he provides the distorted voices for Plant and Skeleton. His reflection is visible in the videos "Sunglasses" and "Nose", his legs are shown in the video "What Are Shoes", while his hands appear in the videos "Black Magic Trick", "These Are Cotton Swabs" and "Touch Poppy". Finally, he is mentioned by name in the second "Charlotte Interviews Poppy" and "I Am Not in a Cult".
- Sinclair makes a cameo in the music video for "Lowlife" as one of the people in the studio.
- Sinclair voiced Rex in the Everybody Wants to Be Poppy webseries.
The Titanic Sinclair gallery can be found here.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://twitter.com/poppy/status/1211006950160269313
- ↑ https://www.nme.com/big-read-poppy-interview-2019-i-disagree-breaks-character
- ↑ https://twitter.com/poppy/status/1258045810719113218
- ↑ https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4454429-MarsArgo-Poppy-Complaint-WIRED2018.html#document/p1
- ↑ https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/lawsuit-poppy-titanic-sinclair-dismissed/