"Voicemail" is a song by Poppy. It served as the lead single from her second extended play, "Choke". The music video was released on January 31st, 2019, while the song was officially released to streaming services on February 7th, 2019. The music video currently has over 1 million views on YouTube.
Poppy stated in an interview with Interview Magazine that she does not let people leave voicemails on her phone, and that her "mailbox is always full so people can't leave messages". In an interview with Gigwise on the full "Choke" EP, she further explained that the song was also inspired by her fans. Shortly before the song's release, she tweeted a phone number that fans could leave a voicemail at. She said that the song was inspired by "a couple of very interesting messages" that fans had left on the number's voicemail, and that she wishes to make "some sort of sonic collage" with the messages in the future.
- The Japanese lyrics in the second verse, "kimi hazukashii, te ni imashou", roughly translate to "you are embarrassing, let's go".
- This is the fourth Poppy song to feature bilingual lyrics, with the second verse incorporating both English and Japanese. This was preceded by "Moshi Moshi", which incorporates both English and Japanese, as well as "Hard Feelings" and "Aristocrat", which incorporate both English and French.
- In an interview with Interview Magazine, Poppy said that the music video for "Voicemail" is a "continuation" of the "X" music video.
- The mixing of the single version is considerably different from the music video version; the song begins with a fade-in, the vocals have more reverb, and the synths are lowered in volume.
- The lyric "Poppy is your mommy" would later be referenced in Poppy's video "Your Mommy", in which she labels her viewers as her "children" and herself as their "mommy".
- ↑ https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbenjamin/2019/01/25/poppy-voicemail-new-single-sundance-2019-interview
- ↑ https://www.gigwise.com/features/3326493/poppy-s-track-by-track-guide-to-new-ep-choke
- ↑ https://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/poppy-is-your-mommy-in-her-video-for-voicemail
- ↑ https://twitter.com/poppy/status/1087107219261407235