"X" is a song by Poppy. It served as the fifth single from her album "Am I A Girl?" and is the fourteenth and final track on the album. The music video was released on November 5th, 2018 and currently has over 6 million views on YouTube.
An acoustic version of the song was uploaded to YouTube on January 8th, 2019. On January 17th, this version was released on all streaming services.
Poppy revealed the title along with the tracklist to "Am I A Girl?" on Instagram.
"X" is a song about Poppy's desire to have world peace. However, she also wishes for dark things, such as violence, sex, and drugs.
Unlike Poppy's usual songs, this song deals with mature subject matter. Musically, the song alternates between heavy metal and sunshine pop, providing a dichotomy that was uncommon in Poppy's music at the time. "Play Destroy" operates in a similar vein, with Poppy describing both tracks as a new genre called "Poppymetal". The song "Scary Mask" from her "Choke" EP continues this musical direction, as well as her single "Concrete".
Poppy promoted the song by posting photos from the scene of the music video before its release. Additional photos from the video were posted after its release.
Both the song and the music video received positive reviews from critics, who praised the song for its creative contradicting verses, melodies, and genres, and the music video for its death metal, retro-horror shout outs and hippie interludes. Andy Hill from Gigwise stated, "It's her Bohemian Rhapsody. High art for the Ritalin generation."
- Poppy and Titanic Sinclair made multiple references to the song's title on Twitter and Instagram prior to its release.
- The song's title "X" is short for "ecstasy".
- Poppy and Titanic have stated that this is their favorite song and music video from "Am I A Girl?".
- In a now-deleted Instagram post, it was revealed that the band members that appear in the music video are credited as Halius Andromedus, Cornelius Erradicus, Maelstrom XIII and Karl. These band members are portrayed by the members of Blame Candy: Chris Greatti, Aaron Deming, Sam Palombo and Ryan Wheeler.
- Poppy has confirmed that this was the last song written for "Am I A Girl?".
- The song was used as one of the theme songs for the 2019 wrestling show NXT TakeOver: Phoenix. Poppy promoted this show in her video "WWE" with the hashtag #NXTLoud.
- This is the only Poppy song to have an acoustic version available on streaming services.
- Poppy has said that the music video for "Voicemail" is a "continuation" of the "X" music video.
- "X" and "Scary Mask" were written a week apart.
- ↑ http://time.com/5455221/poppy-am-i-a-girl/
- ↑ https://www.altpress.com/news/poppy-x-music-video/
- ↑ https://wallofsoundau.com/2018/11/07/poppy-takes-out-the-biggest-wtf-moment-this-week-with-her-bloody-heavy-pop-metal-single-x/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/alexbadioli/status/1060570792872816640
- ↑ https://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/poppy-is-your-mommy-in-her-video-for-voicemail
- ↑ https://www.gigwise.com/features/3326493/poppy-s-track-by-track-guide-to-new-ep-choke